just don't let the sun go down on me

Sunday, May 07, 2006

missionary

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 3

QUICK FACTS:

directed by J.J. Abrams (creator of Alias, and Lost); 2006; 126 minutes running time; Tom Cruise returns as Ethan Hunt; other actors include Laurence Fishburne, Keri Russel, Ving Rhames, Jonathan Rhys Meyer & Maggie Q

ANDRE SAYS:
Exciting na kaagad ang unag sequence ng Mission: Impossible 3, riveting enough that it kept me literally at the edge of my seat. Nagsimula ito hindi sa simulang-simula talaga ng kuwento ngunit sa huling quarter na ng kuwento, pagkatapos ay saka nag-flashback sa tunay na simula ng kwento. Isang magandang technique dahil sa huli ng ulitin ang eksena ay may twist pala. Whatever that is, I won’t reveal yet for the sake of those who haven’t seen M:I3 yet.

This third installment of the American James Bond is quite different from the first two and even from the similar films such as James Bond. Here, we see a secret agent/spy character na hindi na chickboy. In fact, sa pangalawang sequence pa lamang, engagement party na ni Ethan & Julia (his doctor fiancée), at sa kalagitnaan ng pelikula ay kinasal na sila. Kadalasan, ang mga matinik na action heroes na matinik din sa chicks ay nakukuha lamang ang kanilang leading lady sa katapusan ng pelikula ngunit wala naman talagang closure at seryosong relationship na nagaganap. Kadalasan ay magtatapos pa nga ito sa sex lamang. Case in point: the latest James Bond film, Die Another Day.

At dito na nga umikot ang kwento ng M:I3. Paano nga ba ang buhay ng isang secret agent kung naisin na niyang mag-settle down at magpakasal? Ang sagot, simple at predictable: masasama lang ito sa gulo.

M:I3’s story however different remains uninteresting. In the middle of it, I kept asking myself, what the hell is the mission? I was expecting it could be another save-the-world-from-evil stuff when it was saving the damsel in distress, after all. Having seen the first M:I (where Ethan has to prove he was being framed up) and M:I2 (where Ethan has to retrieve the Chimera virus from the wrong hands), I expected the third one was something bigger than the Chimera. Oh but no, I expected too much and now I am ranting.

So there, the mission was for Ethan to save his wife from Owen Davian in exchange of this ‘Rabbit’s Foot’ Ethan has to steal. There goes another damsel in distress character. However, she redeemed herself in the end when she was able to protect her husband when he was incapable of fighting. With the way the movie ended, I sense that there will be a part 4 that would be a true continuation of this 3rd installment. What the hell was the “Rabbit’s Foot” and why on earth it was that important? This was really left unanswered which I believe would be the possible story for M:I4.

One thing I liked about the movie is the villain, Owen. I love his character. He is fearless and possesses a real strong disposition. Hindi blabbermouth pero nakikita mo talaga sa mukha niya na seryoso siya at papatay siya. Nga lang, siya ang namatay. Pero astig ah, iba siya sa ibang mga villains. Pansinin nyo.

The action sequences were ok. Nothing remarkably special however, talagang nakaka-kaba ang mga ito. I easily got involved. My heart was beating terribly fast and I held my breath until the sequences end. Musical scoring and effects were effective to me. Kaya ganun na lang ang reaction ko. Cinematography and camera movement swept the hell out of me especially those scenes that show great heights. Being acrophobic, I who was just watching felt as if I was the one jumping from a building or at the top of a very high place. Grabe, cathartic ang cinematography.

If M:I2 under John Woo’s direction had his trademark flying doves, M:I3 under Abram’s direction he other hand had the touch of Alias, which Abrams created and co-wrote. The very thought of a secret agent having to deal with his work and creating a family is Alias enough for me. Pati na rin yung ahas sa agency. Woosh, Alias has lotsa those. The movie also included but very minimal references to the past M:Is, one is the classic scene from the first where Ethan is suspended with a rope inches above the floor.

Generally, the movie was quite a disappointment for me. It just had lots of other plus factors which make me like it somehow. Overall, it did not have the appeal of its predecessors, M:I3 could easily be mistaken as another spy movie and not a Mission: Impossible movie.

ANDREW WEIGHS:
Strengths: hot hot hot Jonathan Rhys Meyers; a refreshing Ethan Hunt that is more tuned to his emotions and soft side; breathtaking action sequences with sweeping cinematography; oh and did I mention Jonathan Rhys Meyers?

Weaknesses: loopholes in the plot; the very idea of Mission: Impossible 3; lacks the x-factor; Tom Cruise is getting old for the role; less gadgets; not so well directed

1-10, 10 being the highest, I give the movie a 6.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home