just don't let the sun go down on me

Monday, October 24, 2005

kagemusha - akira kurosawa 1980

KAGEMUSHA
The Shadow Warrior


Fast Facts:
directed by renowned Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa; featuring a cast of professional and amateur performers most of whom worked for the first time with Kurosawa; turned down by Japanese studios for funding because of the film’s ambitious settings; found funding and international distribution help from Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas, two self-proclaimed Kurosawa fans; colored; three hours running time (full-length version)

Synopsis:
When a very powerful and feared feudal lord dies, the heads of the clan task an impersonator to assume the role of the dead leader. This secret has to be kept for three years as the dead warlord’s final wish in an effort to secure the clan’s power. But the dead lord’s envious son wages a futile attack against the rival clan resulting to the collapse of the clan.

Andre says:
This is the third Kurosawa film I have seen (the first two being Rashomon and Dreams). I love Rashomon so much and with that, I had high expectations for Kagemusha. And I can say that my expectations weren’t really met. Kagemusha is bolder. And it is far different from Rashomon. From story to cinematography. My apologies, it is really just stupid of me to make Rashomon as a basis when I am actually watching a different Kurosawa.

Anyway, I really have nothing extraordinary to say that can change the world’s film appreciation. Except that I do like the film. The images and the scenes are breathtaking. The story is quite typical and obvious. If I would go to the very spine of the story, it would be just the same as White Chicks’. Hmm, well, not a very good comparison really. But it’s one of the closest. Kurosawa, who also co-wrote Kagemusha, however made intelligent events, sequenced them properly to support each other, and secured every event to be logical and motivated.

What I like also in the film is that I learned something new. Not in the filmmaking aspect though. I learned that warriors in feudal times Japan wore individually tall sticks on their backs which carry their clans’ flag in order to identify them! They were so cute. Haha.

I guess that’s all I got to say. Just go watch it for your own appreciation. Just don’t get bored. It’s a long film.

Andre thinks:
Scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest… 7.

Some scenes:


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog reading night.

China: Pahiram :D

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:14:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home